Friday, July 4, 2014

Album Review - Phox - Phox



Breezy, whimsical, melodically magical. These are the words that come to mind when listening to Baraboo, Wisconsin's Phox.

With their self titled debut record hitting stores June 24th, the indie music world had no idea what they are about to hear. The record is flawless. Lead singer Monica Martin's voice is one of the best I've heard in a
long time; the airiness of her vocals, the lyrics seem to float on the melodies. The songs seem effortless. The backing band never failing to perfectly match the feelings the lyrics bring.

The album as a whole is a refreshing listen. I don't even know how to being to describe the sound. Take a little 1960s girl group, add a bit of pop, a bit of folk, a bit of magic, a clarinet solo, and I guess there you have it. That is Phox.

Of the twelve tracks on the album, Slow Motion, 1936 (which for some reason reminds me of my grandmother,) Noble Heart and Kingfisher are my favorite songs. But really, they are all my favorite.

This album is an essential for listening on warm, breezy summer afternoons, moonlit summer nights, and all times in between. I'm sure It's even great in Spring, Fall and Winter.

The band is currently on tour. Check out the schedule here: http://phoxband.com/

Get the record at iTunes, Amazon or at your local Barnes & Noble, or at the website above.







No comments:

Post a Comment