Sunday, June 10, 2012

Stare into the dark long enough, something's bound to shine - Kasey Anderson & The Honkies

For a listen, go here, or look them up on iTunes or Spotify




This is the only picture I have of them from that show,
sorry it's only Kasey's butt.
I was first introduced to Kasey Anderson & The Honkies last September when they opened for Counting Crows at the Puyallup Fair. They are one of two of these "new" bands, that I love, whom I have actually seen live (and will see again in August.) We were quite impressed with him/them. I had intended on getting their records, but for whatever reason, I didn't. Until now, that is. I recently downloaded The Honkies' newest record, Let The Bloody Moon Rise, and also their live record Live at the Triple Door (currently, only the latter is available on their website.) Both of these records are quite good. Sometime in the not too distant future I hope to acquire Kasey Anderson's previous albums Heart of a Dog, Nowhere Nights and The Reckoning, coz after listening to them on Spotify, I very much enjoy them as well. (UPDATE: I got them. I love them. That is all)

Kasey Anderson grew up in the Portland, Oregon area, spent eight years in Bellingham, Washington, some of that time was spent studying English at Western Washington University, and now spends his time (while not touring) around Seattle and Portland. Kasey Anderson's sound has been likened to that of Steve Earle, Ryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen (and bear with me here, I, in some songs, some lines, some bits of music, hear just a little of Bryan Adams, but that's just the leftover Canadian in me.) He's got a slightly gravely voice, and the band, The Honkies, have blues-country-rock sound that is uniquely rad. (The Honkies are: Andrew McKeag on guitar/vocals (check out his track Already Gone on Let the Bloody Moon Rise, it's pretty darn good,) Will Moore on bass/vocals, Mike Musburger on drums and Ty Bailie on keys.)

Kasey Anderson is a brilliant songwriter, he has been called “A literate workingman’s poet.” (Paste Magazine) to which I fully agree. His songs are honest, not overly wordy or overly romanticized like so much music is these days. He'll tell you straight up what's on his mind, the songs reflect that. Sure, he's got some ballad-y songs, but they are still perfectly written. Anderson has caught the attention of some pretty notable folks. Adam Duritz of Counting Crows, for example. Kasey Anderson & The Honkies played with them last fall, and also were part of the Outlaw Roadshow at South By Southwest this year, and will be touring again with Counting Crows on the traveling Outlaw Roadshow's second leg (which I am so excited to be seeing in Sandpoint, Idaho August 10th) But really, coolest of all, is that Counting Crows covered Kasey Anderson's song Like Teenage Gravity for their new album Underwater Sunshine (or What we Did on our Summer Vacation). This song is one of my favorites, both Kasey Anderson's original, which can be found both on Nowhere Nights and Let the Bloody Moon Rise (I like the Let The Bloody Moon Rise version better,) and Counting Crows' cover. Really, what better honor is there than to have Counting Crows cover one of your songs? 


Let The Bloody Moon Rise, Kasey Anderson & The Honkies' new album is set to be released sometime near the end of June (I think, I couldn't find an official release date, but my copy will be shipped around June 19, according to the email I got after I ordered the LP **Release delayed until November 2012, with limited quantities available of physical album, so get on it.) As soon as it becomes available, you should get it. I am loving this record. It's got some great stuff on it. Some highlights of the record, though all the songs are great, are the opening track Some Depression, a twangy, alt-country-esque song. The lyrics are great, one of my favorite verses (mainly coz it mocks those who drive a Prius) --
You got Tweedy and Farrar on your vanity plates / Driving your Prius down the lost highway / Down to California, down to Joshua Tree / To feel Gram’s ghost on the desert breeze / Back to Room 8, smoke a little weed / Pretty good story, but it don’t impress me.


Next we get Down, Lucine, a raucous, blues-rock tune, which reminds me of something, I just can't pin-point what (I could say George Thorogood, but I won't coz I don't like him, he's creepy,) but I love it nonetheless. A cover of Delbert McClinton's Two More Bottles of Wine is another rocking, country-rock song. Totally fun to listen to, gets you moving, rockin', puts a smile on your face. The piano in this song is astounding, and the guitars electrifying. Two More Bottles of Wine runs into Abaddon Blues, which hence the name, is a blues-rock song. This song gives us the album's title, Let The Bloody Moon Rise, this song exemplifies blues rock at it's best. Don't Look Back has got to be my favorite track. I love the lyrics, the guitars are amazing, the song has that epic rock 'n' roll song feel to it, it almost reminds me of something by Johnny Cougar Mellencamp (if only I liked Johnny Cougar Mellencamp, but that's irrelevant here.) There is a different, mellower version of Don't Look Back on the album The Reckoning, which I also love. It's one of those songs what I just connected with instantly. A new, uptempo, more country-esque version of Like Teenage Gravity is presented on this album. I really love this song too. All versions. Kasey Anderson's and Counting Crows'. It's on my list of all time favorite songs. I'm a lyrics girl, and the lyrics of this song just get to me. As much as I want to post them all here, I won't, but you can read them for yourself here, or watch that video up there. Just do something to get this song in your brain. Another favorite, the acoustic version of Sirens & Thunder is on Live at the Triple Door, another very, very good song.

Not only is Kasey Anderson a helluva songwriter, but the dude is funny. Follow him on Twitter. If not because you're a fan of his music, but purely for the entertainment. He "tweets" some of the funniest stuff I've ever read; things that most of us wish we had thought of, or that we had but wish we could say out loud. Sarcasm, satire and pure smart-assery. I feel that my sense of humor would click with his. I'd love to hang out with him, people watch with him, mock people at Starbucks with him. Open invitation for Kasey Anderson: If you're ever passing through Spokane, lets hang out, grab dinner or coffee or something, I'll interview you for the blog, talk about random things.

So there you have Kasey Anderson & The Honkies. Again I'll say, like I always do, go buy his/their records, see them on leg 2 of the Outlaw Roadshow, or any of their other shows (the dates you can find right here)


2 comments:

  1. It always is an incredible feeling to discover an artist that resonates so well with you. Makes me wish I lived in a larger community that gave more opportunities to bands of all kinds. There are some around here, but for the most part it's the same local bands over and over again. Very cool blog, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, that's one of the things I hate about living in Spokane, I get to miss all the good bands passing through Seattle. I was lucky to see Brown Bird here, and Heartless Bastards (another new band i like) are coming in August, but that's about it. (except for Counting Crows playing Sandpoint, ID)
    Thanks by the way, the coolest part is that many of the bands i've written about have read their posts.

    ReplyDelete