Saturday, June 2, 2012

Light a candle, free your soul - Foreign Fields

Here's the link to listen/download: http://foreignfields.bandcamp.com/


You know that scene in Almost Famous, when William Miller inherits his sister's record collection, and she leaves him a note to listen to Tommy with a candle burning, that he'll see his future? Listening to Foreign Fields' Anywhere But Where I Am has the same affect, with or without a candle burning, trust me, I know these things.

Foreign Fields is another band whom I credit, nay, thank, Adam Duritz of Counting Crows for the introduction. In mid February, he posted on Twitter and/or Facebook just absolutely raving about this band, saying how his "mind was blown" by their record, and that everyone should check it out, so of course I did. And my mind too was blown. I had never heard anything like this before. The day I downloaded it, I just listened to it over and over. Every time, thinking "wow, this is fantastic, these guys are brilliant"

Anywhere But Where I Am is my go to unwinding, listen to in bubble bath after a long day, de-stress record. The music is supremely mellow, it calms you, relaxes you; this record soothes your soul. Or, if you're like me and need music to fall asleep, this is the perfect listen; the ethereal sounds that seep from this record, the peacefulness you will feel as you listen will make you drift off, float off to sleep (but only when the record is finished, coz you'll want to keep yourself awake to hear it all play out.) The opening track, From the Lake to the Land begins the journey of this record, and keeps the beautiful momentum going through all thirteen tracks, straight through to the haunting vocals on Perfect Home, and to the closing track Fake ArmsTaller, Where the Willow Tree Died, and The River Kings are my favorite tracks, though all of them are amazing.  

Foreign Fields, who's original moniker Flights was dropped shortly after their appearance at SXSW's Outlaw Roadshow (oh geez, ANOTHER Outlaw Roadshow band? Yes, but I found these guys before they were added to the line-up, so there), as to avoid confusion with another band by that name, developed their sound on the frozen Wisconsin plain, then perfected it in Nashville. The electronic-folk of this record is purely unique. Eric Hillman and Brian Holl are the core of Foreign Fields, with backing from Nathan Reich, Nate Babbs and Clayton Fike. I don't know much about the technical side of music, or the recording process, so I can't tell you the secrets behind the amazing sounds of Anywhere But Where I Am, all I know is that it is one the best albums I've found this year. So good that I not only got a digital copy, but also a hard copy, one that was handmade by the band, literally hand made. The sleeve is folded from paper grocery bag-like paper, the disc hand written and included self taken pictures. There were only a small number of these handmade albums available, and I'm glad I snatched one up.


Foreign Fields will be touring the eastern side of the US this summer with Counting Crows, Filligar and Good Old War on the traveling Outlaw Roadshow. If you are in that area of the country, DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW. Seriously. I would love to be out there to see it. It's for shows like these, and other awesome things I have to miss by living in Spokane, that I really think it's time someone invented a teleporter. Seriously, its 2012, someone get on that. (But then I guess the concept of touring would become obsolete, as bands could stay put and the fans could just come to them...)

I feel like this post doesn't really give this band/record justice. Sometimes it's hard to put into words what you really want to say about the music. So really, all I can say is that this record truly is beautifully brilliant, and you should most defiantly click the link up top and get it. Trust me on this one.   

** Note: If you don't know the Almost Famous reference, shame on you. Watch the movie, it's brilliant. It's one of my most favorite movies ever.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw Foreign Fields perform last night at the Outlaw Roadshow here in Indy! The three bands ( Foreign Fields, Good Old War, Filligar) introduced by Counting Crows were outstanding. How awesome to have Adam Duritz supporting them and enjoying their work. Can't wait to get the albums. Definitely one of my favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, I wish I would have ordered one of the handmade albums.

    ReplyDelete