Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm takin' ya home, turn off the phone, we'll listen to radio -- We Are Augustines



You know those bands who people recommend, people who as of yet haven't steered you wrong with their recommended bands, that you really want to love, but you just don't? I have to be honest, but Brooklyn based We Are Augustines is one of those bands. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but for whatever reason it's taken me a lot of listening to get that. I'm not sure what exactly it is about them; the songwriting is good, the instrumentation well above par, the songs themselves are good. I really can't pin it down. They just aren't a band that I immediately clicked with, like I have with so many of these other bands I've discovered in the last 7 months. This doesn't at all mean that you shouldn't check them out, you should. It's just that I'm not 100% sold with them, yet. 

For all I know they may be one of those bands that you like even more once you've seen them live. I've talked to people who have said that they didn't become a full-blown Springsteen fan until they had seen him live (this unfortunately didn't work with my sister, she's still not really a fan after seeing him live.) So, as I will be seeing them as part of the Outlaw Roadshow August 10**, maybe my opinion will change. Until then, I'll keep on listening to Rise Ye Sunken Ships.



Guitarist Billy McCarthy, bassist Eric Sanderson and drummer Rob Allen are We Are Augustines. This band has played for live audiences here in the States and also "across the pond" including such festivals as Coachella and T In the Park. They have also done the late night TV circuit, appearing on Last Call with Carson Daily, The Late Show with David Letterman and Leno (what ever his show is called these days)  Their debut album Rise Ye Sunken Ships is available on iTunes, Amazon (as of writing this, it's only $3.99 from Amazon.) It's a solid album. It is good, I'm not saying I don't like it, I do, but I'm just not head-over-heels with it (I can't love everything, can I?) 

The album is pure rock and roll, I may or may not have used the word "Springsteen-y" to describe them to a friend at work (I won't lie, I did.) Some songs have that epic, almost anthem-y feel to them, such as New Drink for The Old Drunk, Philadelphia (City Of Brotherly Love) or Book Of James, a song for singer/songwriter Billy McCarthy's brother who passed away. The tracks Barrel of Leaves and East Los Angeles are about as ballad-y as you're gonna get from this record, and then I don't know if that's even the right word for them. Of the two, I prefer East Los Angeles. My favorite tracks on the album (yes, I have a few favorite tracks) are Juarez, Strange Days and New Drink for the Old Drunk. 

I will admit that the more I listen to this album, this band, the more it/they grow on me. I'm not going to give up on this band. Go buy their record, listen to it, then say to me "Jennifer, you're crazy, these guys are RAD"
(Since originalally posting this, I have continued to listen to Rise Ye Sunken Ships and it really is growing on me, I find myself liking it more and more, liking this band more and more.)


** Due to injury, as of 7/31/12 We Are Augustines have dropped out of the last leg of the tour. Sad times all around, but we want the band to be well. I'm bummed that I won't be seeing them as part of the Outlaw Roadshow, but I'll survive. Hopefully I'll get to see them someday. Get well soon, Billy!)



No comments:

Post a Comment