Friday, August 3, 2012

Actually, quite full of heart -- Heartless Bastards



As well as having one of the greatest band names ever, Heartless Bastards are extraordinary rock and rollers. After seeing them live, I know this to be true. Heartless Bastards are another band which I discovered though the Outlaw Roadshow from this year's South By Southwest's music showcase, and another band that I enjoy immensely.

Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, but now anchored in Austin, Texas, this quartet is destined for greatness. Bassist and steel pedal guitarist Jesse Ebaugh, guitarist Mark Nathan, drummer Dave Colvin and guitarist and lead singer Erika Wennerstrom are the Heartless Bastards. All of these guys are great, Dave Colvin is a brilliant drummer, during some bits of some songs during the show it seemed like he had a third arm, or magic sticks, he was really good. Mark Nathan and Jesse Ebaugh are both amazing at their craft as well, both very skilled guitarists and bassists. Erika Wennerstrom is a pint-sized power house of vocals. Her voice deeper than many female singers out there, but probably more fantastic. The first time I heard her singing, on their song Parted Ways, I thought she sounded like Geddy Lee from Rush, only if he were a lady, and little more country, and a little less rock and roll (which is a good thing. Though I'm not the worlds biggest Rush fan, one of my favorite songs just happens to be theirs: Spirit of Radio)

The Heartless Bastards' newest record Arrow was released February 14, 2012, and it's a hell of a record. Indie rock, country rock, blues rock, whatever you want to label it, it's rock goodness in all it's glory. Before I bought Arrow I was on the fence about getting it, and frankly I am very glad I did. It is another record that has been in constant rotation the last several months, and another one that I am always eager to share with friends and family. It's one of those records where all of the songs are stellar, and you just listen to it over and over without tiring of it. A few of my favorites off the 11-track album (if you get the bonus-track version from iTunes, otherwise it's only 10) are Parted Ways, a song that is a staple in my road trip playlists, and being the first song of theirs I heard, it's continued to be a favorite. My favorite lines from the song:
And the sun went down in this little ghost town / Near the valley of the rio grande / I need a little bit of whiskey and a little bit of time / To ease my troubled mind -- I just love it.

Another favorite is Got to Have Rock & Roll, coz it's oh so true: when ever you're feeling down / well you gotta have, gotta have, gotta have rock and roll / and oh, if you ever need a pick me up / you gotta have, gotta have, gotta have rock and roll.

Simple Feeling is a rocking number, Skin & Bone also fantastic; for a slower tune, check out Marathon or The Arrow Killed the Beast, I want to use dirge-like to describe these songs, but I know it's not the right word, but it'll do, and I mean it in the best way possible. If you get the bonus track version, you get Bye Bye Baby Blues, another song which I greatly enjoy.
I was so close, it was hard to get a good shot of the whole band

Like I said earlier, I got to see Heartless Bastards live last night (Aug 2.) It was a great night. They had two opening acts, the first was Jesi B and the All Rights. I very much enjoyed them, they were a southern soul/rock band with a great guitarist. The second band was called Little Hurricane. I wasn't at all impressed by them. There were people at the show that did like them, they just weren't a band that I would listen to on my own accord, that's all.

Before the show I got to meet the Heartless Bastards, they were very nice, not heartless at all. I took a photo with them and had them sign the LP I bought. They seemed excited to be there, to be playing in Spokane, they didn't know any better (just kidding Spokane, you're a swell town.) Their set was on fire. They put on an amazing show. It was pure rock and roll all night. They played a bunch of stuff from Arrow: Parted Ways, Got to Have Rock and Roll, Only For You, Skin & Bone, The Arrow Killed The Beast, Down in the Canyon, Simple Feeling, Late in the Night, and a few songs from previous albums, and a song they did for a film soundtrack called High Line (the song, not the film.) It was a super fun show, if you have the opportunity to see them, jump on it, you won't be disappointed.

Ok, so there is yet another band which I fully recommend. Go buy their records, see them on tour, help them "hit the big time" Go here:  http://www.theheartlessbastards.com/ and buy stuff, you know CDs, t-shirts, trucker hats and such.

Me & The Heartless Bastards
oh yeah, I grabbed the set list too.




No comments:

Post a Comment