Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Album Review - Volume 3 - She & Him




Some people have very strong feeling about Zooey Deschanel. Either they love her, or they hate her. Ok, maybe not hate, but dislike. Why? I really don't know. Personally, I love her. She's adorable, or adorkable, as I've heard her called. I've liked her since I saw her in the film Almost Famous. I know once or twice I've said that when I grow up, I want to be Zooey Deschanel. Her show New Girl is hilarious. We all learned she could sing, and sing well, in the movie Elf.  It was shortly after this that she and M. Ward joined musical forces to create She & Him.

Volume 3 is the fourth release from the duo. She & Him have released two previous Volume albums, and also a Christmas album (A Very She & Him Christmas.) I think my favorite thing about She & Him is their sound. This record, along with Volume One and Volume Two are like little time machines, transporting you to the time of  girl groups in the 1960s, such as The Crystals, The Ronnettes and Petula Clark. As I have been a long time fan of music from this era, these records, this duo, have earned a spot in my regular musical rotation.

Volume 3 contains fourteen tracks, all but three of them penned by Deschanel (Baby, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me and Sunday Girl.) Many actors/actresses have tried to cross over into music, some have succeeded, some not so much. Deschanel proves here that she's got what it takes to make it. Brilliant songwriting with catchy lyrics and tunes, a fantastically smooth voice, and the ability to suck you right into the music and fall for it immediately.

Much like the two previous She & Him records, Volume 3 has a sunny disposition to it. The whole of the record stirs images and feelings of a warm summer afternoon, except for London, which paints a perfect, spot-on picture of the dreary city, something I'm very familiar with having lived in the Seattle area most of my life.

The easily a top hit, radio friendly (do they play She & Him on the radio?) track Together is one of my favorite tracks on the record; the writing, the vocals, the horn section, the whole of the song is all really fantastic. The single released for the record, I Could Have Been Your Girl is another peppy, catchy, play it ridiculously loud, confuse your friends as to which decade it is song. Check out the video, it's pretty rad.


Their cover of Harry Noble classic Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, most notably recorded by Mel Carter  in 1965, is flawless. The heart and emotion of the song is carried start to finish. Another cover on the record, is that of Blondie's Sunday Girl. She & Him adds their signature throw back sound to this song, while keeping the integrity of the original.  

All in all, in my musical opinion, this is a great record. But I have been a She & Him fan for years, so maybe I'm a little biased. But still, it's pretty darn good. Go get it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a billboard for this the other day while driving into Tacoma, and meant to ask you what you thought of it... Should have known you'd post about it before I had a chance to ask!

    ReplyDelete