Thursday, June 13, 2013

Single Review - Natural Disaster - Roem Baur


I met Roem Baur in Austin back in March when we were both there for SXSW, he as a performer, me as an overly excited music lover. I saw Roem play twice, both times I was completely impressed with his performances, his vocal styling, his guitar playing, just the whole Roem Baur package. 

Today Roem sent me his new single Natural Disaster from his upcoming EP. And much like a real natural disaster, I was blown away by this song. As I'm writing this, the count of how many times I've listened to the song in the last six hours keeps climbing into the mid 30s. 

At first listen, the song sucks you in. After running a couple times through I heard hints of Robert Palmer and Foreigner, but at the same time it's like nothing out there. This song is everything that rock and roll has to offer, and more.

From it's pounding drum line intro, fierce guitars, Baur's smooth, soulful yet tumultuous vocals, and all the way to the brilliant horn section (oh how I love me a horn section.) The lyrics telling of a troubled girl, a hot mess of a girl, a girl who likes to break hearts, have her heart broken, have whirlwind affairs, wreak havoc, run away, then come back around and do it again:


"My Baby loves a heartache, she wears it 'round her neck, so tight it's almost like I can taste it on her breath... She comes, she comes around just like a hurricane, she blows, she blows like a twister in the hard rain, she burns, she burns like a wild fire, white flame, I'm caught in the path of a natural disaster...When she comes around I try not to make a sound, But trouble is always going to find me. I try and hold her tight, to catch a bottle full of light, we break up, we make up, we're through, and then she's back again"



After hearing this song I'm very excited for the rest of the EP. The single will be available starting Monday, June 17th, exclusively on Roem's website, roembaur.com. with the rest of the EP following later this summer. Roem will also be on a west coast tour this summer, up California, into Oregon, and then in my neighborhood, Seattle, on July 16th (with Little Brave and Tyler Stenson)

No comments:

Post a Comment