Monday, May 28, 2012

Are you ready to folk rock!? - Brown Bird part 2

So last night I had the pleasure of seeing/meeting one of my new favorite bands live here in Spokane (Which in itself is quite amazing, as it is Spokane, after all.) On Saturday (5/26) I saw on Facebook that Brown Bird was playing at a bar in downtown Spokane on Sunday night. I HAD to go, but sadly, I was scheduled to work that night. So I went into work (on my day off) and luckily (after asking three people) got one of my co-workers to switch shifts with me so I could have the night off to go to the show. I was so very excited. If you read my previous post about Brown Bird, or are an immediate family member, you know I love them.

I got to the bar, Carr's Corner, at around 7pm, and went to the bar to get a drink. While standing there, I realized that MorganEve Swain and David Lamb of Brown Bird were sitting right next to me. And of course, being me, I was terrified to talk to them. Thankfully that feeling didn't last long. I went up to them, told them that I love them and their record, Salt for Salt, and that I was thrilled that they were playing in Spokane (And yes, I mentioned that I wrote about them on the blog, don't know if they've read it or not, as of last night, no. Update: as of 5/30, they had indeed read it) 


I had gotten to the bar early, and got to see them do their sound check. During this I learned one thing: bring your own sound guy, or at least make sure the venue's guy knows what they are doing. I'm sure the sound guy was perfectly capable, but MorganEve and Dave seemed to be a little irked with him (I guess the sound from their monitors wasn't right, I don't know.) The set up of the monitors and the speakers was off kilter that night or something, or the wiring was off, or the guy really didn't know what was going on, who knows really.  I got to talk to MorganEve a little more after sound check, and asked her if they had heard of Bison, which they hadn't, so I highly recommended they check them out, (and so should you.) and again when I was buying merch, how I had wanted to see them in Seattle too, but just couldn't swing it, as I was there the week before and would be there not long after, to see Counting Crows (yes, I named dropped Counting Crows), and with gas prices etc... you know...

After they finally got their sound issues kinda figured out, Brown Bird stepped out of the bar to get dinner(?), and the two opening acts played, Wolves in the Woods (they play bluegrass!) and John Blaksley (who kinda, a little bit, reminded me of the likes of Jack Johnson, kinda) There weren't too many people at the bar to see Brown Bird, which is sad, coz they are awesome, maybe only a couple dozen, if even that. Another girl that was there at the bar, who had also talked to MorganEve and Dave, told me that they were happy that I had come, that I was the only fan of theirs that showed up to see them, not just for a show, or for the supporting acts, but for them. For that I was absolutely thrilled. 

Brown Bird took the stage around 11pm. And they owned it. They are spectacular live. It's amazing what two people can do with such simple instruments. They played several songs from Salt for Salt: Fingers to the Bone, Blood Of Angels, Come My Way, Bildgewater, Nothing Left, and Cast No Shadow, and also a few songs I had never heard, nor know the name of, but awesome none the less. I was elated that they played Blood of Angels and Nothing Left as they are my favorite songs from the record.


After their set, I asked if I could get a picture with them, and they were more than happy to oblige. I also bought their album on vinyl that night (and of course a t-shirt, I love me some band t-shirts), and had them sign it for me (the record, not the shirt), also uber cool. I would have loved to have stuck around and talked with them more, but alas, I had to get up early for work the next morning. They were super nice, and played and sang exceptionally well. I couldn't have been more pleased with the show. I am so glad that I was able to get the night off from work. I really hope they come back my way again, I would love to see them again. Maybe next time my sister will be able to join me (she was very jealous of everything that happened that night)

I've said it before, this folk duo is FANTASTIC. Everyone should get Salt for Salt, and their earlier records too (which I will get when I get the fund-age) Please help these great people make it big. Buy their records, go to their shows. They are too awesome to not be world famous, or at least USA famous. They really are THAT good.

1 comment:

  1. I am mega jealous! I love them, and hope they come over this way soon, (and when I can see them, and have money as well.) They are by far my favorite of all the music you have given me lately.

    ReplyDelete