Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The fastest way to my heart is through my rib cage: Dave Godowsky

Listen while you read: http://www.davegodowsky.com/

The singer/songwriter of tonight's post comes again from The Outlaw Roadshow line-up from SXSW. New York City based Dave Godowsky's album All You Love is Need is mellow, great for unwinding, and really an all around good listen.

The songs are reminiscent of the 1970s singer/songwriter revolution, me I hear the likes of Jim Croce with a smidgen of Cat Stevens thrown in. His lyrics are real, and extremely relate-able. You listen to these songs, and you can feel, nay, share every emotion going in and out of the words. "Of all the things you said to me / the worst was things are not the way they used to be... Of all the things that you could do / you had to go and make me fall in love with you" I mean, really, who doesn't get pulled into a song (Tragedy) with lyrics like that.

Or my personal favorite:
"Well I thought I loved it there for a minute / but I hate the world and everyone in it / well the sunrise was dramatic / but I looked directly at it / now my point of view is becoming problematic / well perhaps I've had a few too many / but a penny saved is only a penny / take a look at the world it's an oyster with no pearl / no caviar, no frankincense and mur / Well the audience could not stop clapping / and the deaf man saw the blind man laughing / though they cheered and roared well the audience was bored / but the deaf man's faith was finally restored (I Hate the World & Everyone In it)

I also want to quote lines from the song Flashlight  here, because it's pretty rad too. It's the first track I heard off of All You Love is Need and I was hooked; had to get the whole album. But you can go listen to it yourself, and I'm sure you'll feel the same as I do about it. Ready? Go! (The link is up there! Go!) (Ok, I'll give you this one line, because I love it: And a full moon can be so bright / but also kinda nothing in it's own right)

 Godowsky's acoustic guitar brings out the songs in a mellow-tastic way. The string arrangements back the songs perfectly. This albums is a gem start to finish. Now that I have these songs in the soundtrack of my life, it's hard to imagine it without them. Kudos to you Mr. Dave Godowsky.

I'm not going to list my "favorite songs off the album" here, mainly because I love them all. Yes, that's right. All 8 songs. There isn't one on this album that I never skip. And that's saying a lot. (there is always at least one song on every album I own that I always skip)

No comments:

Post a Comment