Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Winter here had brought me down, then I found Runaway Dorothy

Here be audio: http://www.sonicbids.com/2/EPK/?epk_id=74081#audio


One of these days I'll talk about a band that wasn't part of South By South West's Outlaw Roadshow, but they are just all so good! One of the bands which first grabbed my attention was Runaway Dorothy. I think their's was the first album from any of the Roadshow artists that I downloaded in it's entirety, and I couldn't be more in love with it. They call themselves "alternative-country" but I'm really not sure exactly what that means. They do sound country, not sure where the "alternative" comes in. I grew up with country music, and still listen to lots of the stuff that I did growing up, but I separate country music as pre- or post-Dixie Chicks (who, along with Shania Twain, in my opinion, ruined country music) so I really haven't listened to new Country music since like 1998, and really, I'm not saying that I'm going to go back to listening to it, but If these guys are the future of country music, then I may.



Originally from North Carolina, but now haunting the subways, streets and venues of Brooklyn (and greater NYC), Dave Parnell (vocals, guitar, harmonica). Brett Parnell (electric guitar, banjo), Evan Mitchel (drums) and Sammy Gallo (bass) make up Runaway Dorothy. Hard Way Home was the song I got from the Outlaw Roadshow download; a great, upbeat, story of a song. I love the electric guitar in this song, and the banjo (but then again, I love anything with a banjo, they are just so fun.) After I listened to Hard Way Home a handful of times, I HAD to get more. So I downloaded The Arc.

When I first listened to The Arc, the first thing I thought was "hmm.. I dig this... kinda reminds me of Jakob Dylan (whom I LOVE)" and I couldn't get enough of it. I love everything about this record: the songwriting, the acoustic guitar, the electric guitar, the bass lines, the backing vocals, the harmonica (I love a good harmonica, and I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyone who can play the guitar and the harmonica at the same time, nice job Dave!) Abilene, which is my favorite song on the record, also holds great lyrics and guitars, and I really like the drum line on that track. The Arc also has some great tracks for unwinding, or for when you've got a melancholy mood about you: Takes a Lot of Love, Too Young, Nights Like These, Volatile, Say and Matter of Time. For something in between Hard Way Home and Too Young, Caulfield and Katherine Song are perfect. Every song on The Arc is perfect for what ever mood you may be in. The whole record has become a staple in my life. Hard Way Home often helps kick off road trips, and along with Abilene is on my playlist of songs I love to sing and several of the songs are on the playlist that I have to fall asleep to/play while I'm sleeping.

Runaway Dorothy is another band which I follow on twitter, well really it's Dave, and with whom I have exchanged a tweet or two... or a dozen... or so... They are another band which it would be uber cool to be friends with, to be a part of the awesome music, and who also need to work in some sort of a west coast tour (I would love to see these guys live!) Being twitter friends with them has its perks as well, their manager (Nicholas Mishko) sent me a packet of "swag" from the band, including an autographed poster, a guitar pick, a couple buttons, stickers and SXSW schedule cards (of course I framed the poster, it's now hanging in my kitchen.)

Dave and the boys are currently putting the finishing touches on a new record, which I am quite excited to get my hands on. (Look for a smashing review here when it comes out!)

I really do love this band. And since I do, you should too. Please help support these guys and buy their record (The Arc and the new one when it's released.) At least listen to it, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment